Whether you are a beginner or an intermediate, everyone wants to be on a safe space to have enough protection against the destruction of electric circuit. Concerning so, wiring your 240V air compressor is no less than a deal. I got your situation that you are confused and worried if something goes wrong.
Take a seat back gentleman, I am here to help you out. We all have been through this phase before mastering the skills, there is nothing to worry about. Take a deep breath and start with me. Today, in this article I will walk you through how to wire a 240v air compressor to much more.
Alongside, since it will be your first time, I will also mention step by step guide and some safety measures to take before and during the process. All set, now let’s start with it.
How to Wire a 240V Air Compressor? – Step by Step Guide
Wiring an air compressor needs some attention to make the process easy and in the flow. Having prior knowledge is important so you don’t get stuck midway. That being said, here is a step-by-step guide for you with enough details mentioned.
Make sure you have all the accessory tools along with you. These tools include the following:
- Wire cutter
- Wire stripper
In the second step, first, cut the wires that are attached to the power source that are powering the air compressor. It is essential that you allow enough room in the wires so that you can easily make all of the required connections.
Using a wire stripper, remove the insulation from the end of each individual wire. It’s important to handle the wires with care when you strip them.
When you are finished stripping the wires, use the screwdriver and unscrew the screws that are holding the cover plate onto the air compressor. The cover plate should then be removed and laid to the side.
Moving on, this is an important step that needs all your focus. People often get confused here but you are a champ. Now point out the terminal block that is in the air compressor. After searching for them, next make sure to differentiate between the two terminals, the power output and the input.
Let me tell you one thing here, the input will be termed or you can say written as L1 and the other one as L2. Please don’t forget these two.
Now, it’s time to make the respective connections. Take the power source wire as we mentioned in the above steps and attach it to the L1, yes, the power input terminal. Check to see that the connection is secure and firmly in place. Never hesitate while making the connection that you will get the current.
If you aren’t sure that it will stay in the place for longer, test it again that it is tight.
Last but not least, now it’s time for the other one we discussed in the step 04. All you need to do is to connect the wire approaching from the air compressor to the “L2” connector on the power supply. Again, make sure that you have a pretty good job at connecting it and will not lost its connection.
After making the connections, it’s time to secure it with the cover plate for better protection and restoration. Replace it as it’s quite simple and straightforward to do, so not getting into explanations here.
To make sure that it will stay in it’s located position, ensure that you have tightened it efficiently.
Before actually getting into this last step, I want you to make sure that you have made all the connections righty and more importantly, you have screwed them properly.
Furthermore, it’s the final take; switch on the plug of your air compressor. Start it, make it work for a bit and see if there is any issue. If not, congratulations you have done a great job.
Important points to know about wiring a 240V Air Compressor
- The gauge of the wire used in the wiring of an air compressor that operates at 240 volts is of the vital important. If you use a wire that is too small for the job, the amperage will be insufficient, and your air compressor will not function correctly.
- However, if you use a wire that is too big, the current will be too high, and your air compressor could be destroyed from overheating.
- Compressors that operate at 240 volts require a bigger wire size than those that operate at the more common 120 volts.
Precautionary measures to take while you wire
- Before beginning any work, make sure you read the handbook. Because of this, you will have a better understanding of the diagram and will be able to appropriately wire the compressor.
- Before turning on the power, check that every connection has been made correctly and that it is secure.
- Always refer to the instructions provided by the manufacturer for the particular model of air compressor you own to identify the appropriate wire size.
- Under no circumstances should you attempt to repair or replace any component of the wiring before even turning off the current.
- Only the appropriate size and kind of wire should be used for the task at hand.
- Wires that are torn or otherwise damaged should not be used. Also, it is important that all interconnections be kept clean and clear of any dirt or debris.
- You must conduct routine checks to determine whether the wire has become damaged or worn.
Air compressors are sometimes difficult to handle but once you know how to do it, they will make your life so easy that you don’t even expect it. But one more thing to note, you must always look for an air compressor that is of good quality.
In this article, I have talked about precautionary measures, important points to take notes and have also mentioned a step-by-step guide on your question of how to wire a 240v air compressor. Have a great time champ.