A rubber/plastic tube that is meant to transport compressed air from the machine to other machines or tools that are going to use it is commonly called the air hose. Basically, it serves for transport and is made up of durable material to avoid any uncertainty later on.
In an air compressor, the most challenging thing is to sizing the parts of it. If you utilise an air compressor, the most common challenge that one faces is the blockage of air from its hoses. It can cause breakage and can waste your money.
More of that, the loss of pressure works with its length. It’s a common belief that larger size will result in more pressure loss. In a machine there are always some minor things that need attention, and for that, I’ve pen down this article that is based on how to measure air compressor hose size?
So, better to get straight into it without wasting any time and of course the hard-earned money;
How to measure air compressor hose size?
Getting into the measuring air hoses, there are a few things that need to be clear before we get into detailed information;
Variation in sizes:
Air compressors usually come in numerous sizes and shapes, and so on. There are plenty of types too. With that, the size of it\’s compartments also varies with it. When you choose an air compressor, the sizing gets difficult, but that’s what we are here for.
Basically, it is a special hose that works to build a connection between the air compressor and other tools.
Dependence of sizing:
The most important thing that often got mixed with each other; is the size of the hose of an air compressor depends on two factors; I must say; The OD and the ID
Now, what do these mean? Primarily, the ID is the internal dimension of the hose, and the OD is the outer dimension of the hose. When measuring the size of an air compressor, you need to consider both of these for better reading. Let’s say when you are measuring any object, you always look into the inside and outside, so is the case with it.
But, it is also considered that the more of its size dependence relies on the inside measurement specifically for an air compressor, so you can neglect the outer if you want. In addition to that, you determine the thickness by the OD, and the ID directly reveals how much air can be passed from the hose.
Method of measurement
When measuring the hose size, you need to determine the internal size, or you can say inner measurement. The rule of thumb is used at first for taking the dimensions.
Basically, it is a manual rule where it is thought that the total amount of the CFM level will be the hose dimension in a straightforward approach.
To explain, indeed, this will be the dimension that your hose will need for better processing. In other words, if we talk about the air tools, it will require around 1- 3 CFM level, and the hose space will be 5.5 – 6mm.
In another approach, the OD often changes, but one thing that will remain the same or fixed is that there will be a central hole in the hose of the same size.
Steps to measure the hose size
- You need a tape or a scale to do the measurement at first; measure from the inside and then move towards the outside measurement.
- Then, take a piece of paper and make a mark on it with the measurements you took from the inside of the hose. It will be the distance from the hose, and the measures come in inches; that can be any inch according to your hose and the size of the air compressor.
- The most common measurements are ¼ and 3/8 Inches of the hose.
This size is used more because its features provide convenience, comfort, and good quality. The size is more petite that can be used in almost all departments, making it a popular choice.
Things to keep in mind when measuring the hose size:
- When measuring, it is noted that the inlet size should match the ID of an air compressor.
- The inner measurement also needs to match or should be close enough to the air tools you are going to use with the air compressor.
- A small size hose is more beneficial in many ways and will also help to avoid any leakage and accumulation of air.
- The smaller size hose will lead to a limited flow of air in an air compressor, and the larger hose will result in excessive leaking, which will result in the breakdown
Air compressors are used widely with the tools and equipment to draw the air and build air pressure. When we talk about air hoses in an air compressor, there are multiple factors that come. One of the most basic is the measurement of an air hose for better fittings etc.
After reading this article, I hope you are able to measure the air hose off an air compressor, as the use of hoses is typically thousands and hundreds and are most common practice in today’s era.